Safety on the Road
- Wear Bright Colored Jerseys or Jackets during the day
- Wear reflective clothing with front headlight and blinking, white front headlight. Also have a blinking rear taillights on bike and on back of helmet.
- Ride in a straight line at right side of lane.
- If more than one cyclist ride in a single file.
Signal Your Intentions!!
- Use traditional car signals.
- Left hand up for right turn.
- Left hand out for left turns.
- Left hand down for slowing.
- OR Point in the direction you are going.
- Right hand point to right for right turn.
- Left hand point left for left turn.
NHSTA.gov : Bicyclist Make Safe Choices
Wear Your Helmet!!
Plan Your Route to avoid congested traffic areas!!
(Use Bike Routes, Lanes and Paths through your City)
Brought to You by The League of American Bicyclist
Video: "Bicycle Safety for Adults"
Always Have ID!!
Watch for the Common Danger Situations!!
Watch for the "RIGHT HOOK"!!
Watch for the "LEFT CROSSES"!!
Watch for "DOORINGS"!!
Check out RoadID Safety Page for these Situations!!
"Ride as if you are Invisible to the Motorist"
Here are Even More Dangerous Situations and How to Avoid Them!!
San Diego Bicycle Coalition put together a nice video
Do You Know About "The Safe Routes to Schools Program"?
Video: Ride Right
Basic Cycling riding skills are described in this video including the concept of "Ride Right." (Presented by Marin Cyclists and Marin County Bicycle Coalition)
9 Paceline Rules
from Bicycling Magazine
"Lost Art of the Group Ride"
(Updated Slightly) Storyline